Make Your New Home Your Own on a Budget
- Home » The Century 21 Peak Blog »
Congratulations! You’ve just moved into your new home! But after buying the property and navigating the move, you don’t have the time or budget to completely redecorate. Fortunately, there are ways you can make your home your own without breaking the bank. Let’s look at some of the most helpful new homeowner tips:
- Harness the power of scent. Clean your new home thoroughly, and then place some of your favorite scented candles in different rooms. If you’re not a fan of candles, you can also bake a batch of bread to give the place a homely scent. This is one of the easiest new homeowner tips to help you settle in. Once the property starts to smell familiar, it’ll feel much more like your own.
- Upgrade your front door. Forbes advises investing in a pot of paint in your favorite color, buying new hardware and changing the lock. It will give the exterior of the home a new lock — plus, it adds an extra layer of security.
- Paint one or two interior walls. It doesn’t take much time or money to give a couple of walls a coat of paint. Choose bold colors to make a statement and give the room a whole new look.
- Install new fixtures. If you don’t have the money to change your kitchen and bathroom, installing new faucets and showerheads is the next best thing. It will make your sinks, tub, and shower look completely different.
- Buy new lamps. If the home comes with lampshades, those are relatively easy and affordable to swap out for items that are more to your taste.
- Give yard sale and thrift store items a makeover. No money for new furniture? No problem. Simply visit yard sales and thrift stores, and purchase items you can paint or reupholster. Remember — you don’t have to make everything match. Sometimes a mix of styles and items that you pull together with one color scheme is just as elegant and pleasing to the eye.
- Hang homemade art. Many forget the power of homemade art when thinking of new homeowner tips. Print out vacation photos and other family favorites, and use old picture frames to hang them. If you have children, nieces or nephews, you can also ask them to create some art for you. Better Homes & Gardens recommends asking them to paint a fun portrait of your pet!
- Decorate with rugs, quilts, and pillows. You can add pops of color into your home while simultaneously softening it by decorating with rugs, quilts, and pillows. If you want some truly unique items, you can look on Etsy, where you’ll find handcrafted items by individual artists.
- Showcase your collections. Do you collect ornaments, snow globes or books? Put them on display on a side table, coffee table or shelf.
- Go green with plants. Plants bring your home to life — and they don’t have to cost a lot. Elle recommends buying air plants, spider plants or cacti, which are all affordable and don’t require a lot of maintenance.
With these new homeowner tips in mind, you can put your own stamp on your new property without spending too much. And that will give you a lovely space where you and your family can create a lifetime of memories. Century 21 Peak knows there is more to buying a new house than the transaction.